In the upcoming school board election we have a chance to really make a difference in the direction of our schools in Beaumont. Three of the five positions are being contested this year. Two incumbents, David Sanchez and Susan Lara, are seeking re-election. There are four others also running for the three open seats.
Here is a list one of my readers provided:
THOMAS "TOM" LAYTE, Business owner
DAVID ANTHONY SANCHEZ, incumbent
KELLY D. RUSSELL, no ballot designation
SUSAN "SUSIE" M. LARA, incumbent
JANELLE WOHLMUTH POULTER, educator
MARGARET DE LONGCHAMP, parent/business owner
The current budget situation makes the next few years crucial to the educational opportunities for our kids. The three new board members will have a direct impact on our kids' education. They will be deciding which programs and services will need to be eliminated in order to balance the district's budget. This election is too important to sit back and not get involved. I want to make it easy for you to get involved and become informed about the board member who want such an important role in your kids' future.
We are all familiar with Mr. Sanchez and Mrs. Lara but we need to know more about the others. We need to work together to get to know each and every one of these candidates. Each one of them is welcome to send me an email with their bio and tell us what they want us to know about them. I am also interested in hearing what you know about them.
I am making a list of questions that I need answered. I will take these questions to the prospective board members and give each one of them an opportunity to respond. I would like to add your questions to my list and get the answers for you. If you leave a comment on this post with the questions you want answered, I will add them to my list and maintain the list to make it easy for the candidates to respond here. Look for a new page on my site to maintain the list of questions. I will take the finalized list to the candidates' forum at the Beaumont Civic Center on October 1 and personally ask the candidates to respond. They are welcome to respond here as well.
There may be time limits on speakers at the candidates' forum so I may need some help. If you are able to attend and would like to work with me to make sure every one of our questions get answers, let me know.
Here are some of the questions I'd like answered:
- What do you see a board member's roll in the relationship with the superintendent and administration?
- How will you update the district's parent Involvement policy?
- How will you increase parent involvement?
- Where do you propose spending cuts to balance our budget?
- What programs, if any, you would like to see reinstated in favor of other cuts?
- What projects do you want the next sale of Measure Z bonds to address?
- What will you do to fix the drop off areas at Brookside Elementary?
- Do you think kindergarten is optional and could be eliminated to meet budget requirements?
- Should BUSD offer a GATE like program for gifted and talented kids?